...my blog for celebrating and sharing the sweet things in life...



Thursday, July 23, 2009

Recipe of the Week; WILD ABOUT RADISH GREENS

Recently my Mom gave me a heaping helping of radishes from her garden. Growing up, I ate radishes on a regular basis, especially during the summer when they were fresh from the garden. Often, we would eat radish sandwiches. It may not sound so appealing, but believe me- it's quite the contrary. My Grandma K baked homemade bread daily, I think, and fresh bread is what makes this yummy summer lunch just perfect.

To make the sandwich, simply spread a generous amount of real butter onto fresh white bread. Slice radishes into thin slices and layer over the buttered bread. Shake on a little salt and pepper, top with another slice of bread, and you've got yourself a country delicacy!

Having eaten radishes so often however, I was not aware until just recently that the green part was also a tasty treat. Wanting to use up all the greens in a creative way, I researched recipes for Radish Greens Soup, and eventually pulled ideas and ingredients from several which became my final version. My five-year-old actually LOVED it (I think it may have been the crazy green color), but at any rate he's been asking me to make it again. I just love that my son has a palette for particular flavors... it makes trying new recipes so much fun for us all!

Don't be scared- just try it!



INGREDIENTS

1 tablespoon olive oil
3/4 cup green onions (white and green parts), chopped
3 medium potatoes, diced
6 radishes (stems and tips removed), diced
2 1/2 cups radish greens, chopped*
5 cups chicken stock
1 tablespoon butter
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese

In stockpot, saute the onions in olive oil for about two minutes, or until the onions are tender. Stir in the potatoes and diced radishes and toss over medium heat for a few minutes. Add the stock, bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer with lid on for 20 minutes. Add the radish greens and simmer for another 10 minutes.

When ready to serve puree the soup lightly with an immersion blender, or with regular blender a few cups at a time. Allow the soup to retain some chunky texture from the potatoes. Stir in the butter and cheese; ladle into soup bowls and top with any or all of the following garnishes, if desired.

GARNISH

  • 4 raw radishes- minced and marinated in a few drops of balsamic vinegar. Prepare this prior to starting soup to allow radishes to absorb flavor.
  • Homemade croutons- slice stale bread into one inch pieces. Melt butter in skillet and toss bread in butter, allowing to brown all over. Season lightly with garlic salt. Drain on paper towels before adding to soup.
  • Additional Parmesan cheese
  • Sprinkle of lemon zest

*Be certain to wash greens thoroughly. Remove any brown or damaged areas.

My husband, who cannot eat a meal without any kind of meat, suggested I should add pieces of ham. I can't bring myself to take away from the natural radish flavor, so I refuse to do it. If you get the urge to add meat, let me know how it turns out.

No comments:

Post a Comment