...my blog for celebrating and sharing the sweet things in life...



Monday, August 10, 2009

Confessions of a Thriftstore Junquie

I have a confession to make. I've been a junquie for years. My addiction is so strong, sometimes I find myself rushing off during my lunch hour to get a fix. The area in which I live enables me greatly I'm afraid, because there is such easy access... on just about every street corner.

No, no no. I'm not a junkie... I'm a junquie. There's a difference! For starters, it's perfectly legal in all 50 states. Secondly, it's a relatively cheap habit, which is perhaps what makes my addiction so deeply satisfying! Example- You paid WHAT for that Longaberger basket?? TWO dollars??? A salad spinner! For TWENTY-FIVE cents?? Ahhhh. A high like no other. Do I really need another Longaberger basket? Probably not, but for less than the price of a gallon of gas, it's most certainly worth it.

I do not ever anticipate checking into rehab. Thrift store shopping is so gratifying, and the possibilities are endless. I'm torn on trying to convince others of it's pleasures, only because I want to save all the thrifted goodies for myself. But, on the other hand, I think there are many who could benefit, and perhaps break their own Macy's addiction. Or even (gasp!) Target.

But I'll try. Here's a list of why thrifting has such a tight grasp on me:
  1. Cost. Obviously. Duh.
  2. I feel like a Pirate searching for lost treasure. And I've found quite a few on my quests. Savvy.
  3. Reliving a childhood memory. Once I came across some old Butterick patterns that made me think of all the sewing my Mom did when I was younger. It's just nice to be reminded of something simple, but purposeful.
  4. Finding something I've thought I'd lost. Through the years and the many moves, I've lost things. Through the years thrifting, I've found a lot of those things again.
  5. Finding something like Grandma had. Often I come across things that I remember either of my Grandmothers having. I can't look at a certain Correlle dish pattern and not smile, thinking of Grandma K's old dishes. It's fun to pick these kinds of things up, I love using older dishes and serving ware. And I keep my hen-in-a-nest full of Hershey Kisses, just like Grandma did!
  6. Inspiration. It's easy to look at something and think, "well, that shelf sure is ugly", and move on. But certain things can just pop out at me, and instead I think "well, that shelf sure is ugly but a with a little paint and decoupage it would be perfect for the hallway!"
  7. Big names. Little price tags. I'm not really a name dropper. I don't care if a purse is Coach or Kmart. But once in awhile, I'll find something that can knock my thrifted Couture stockings off. Like a $2 ladies Rolex watch at a Salvation Army store in Show Low, Arizona. Just ask my friend Dyan.
  8. You never know who you might come across in a thrift store! I've seen all types... those who thrift out of necessity (I believe it necessary for all of us, regardless of which tax bracket we fall into), those who thrift for particular collections or specific items, and those who, like me, just love the thrill of the hunt.
  9. Discontinued items. Thrift stores are great for finding things you wish you had bought when they were available, because no one is selling them anymore! This is the case with some Tupperware I've come across in recent months. I checked on EBay, so the 75 cents I paid for the divided storage tray with lid and detachable handle was definitely worth the cost.
  10. Sometimes, I just get lucky. It could be a book, a pair of shoes, the perfect lamp... there are days where I simply come across things I wasn't looking for, didn't need, or hadn't even realize existed. Or I find another cup to replace the one I've broken in my favorite set. You just never know.
So there. I've laid it all out on the line. I've shared with you my fixation for Junque, and instead of asking for your forgiveness, I'd rather ask that you join me some Saturday morning. Confession really is good for the soul- now I've got to get going because the DePaul store closes in an hour!

No comments:

Post a Comment