...my blog for celebrating and sharing the sweet things in life...



Wednesday, September 9, 2009

HO HO HO... Merry, uh, WHAT?

Let me start by apologizing for my brief hiatus last week.
Okay- this what's been going on in my mind these past few days. CHRISTMAS. I don't know why! Usually right about now I'm getting antsy for Halloween, but for some reason I'm wanting to rush right into my holiday planning!

I've never done this before, but I thought I would make my to-do list, or rather my "aspire to-do list" and share it with you all. Lately I've been wishing I didn't work a full time schedule, but I've got it stuck in my head that if I start preparing a little each week now, by December 20th, all I'll have to do is sit back with my eggnog and breathe a sigh of contentment. Humph. We'll see.

O Christmas tree, O Christmas tree! For starters, I'm going to do my tree this year with homemade gingerbread man ornaments, pine cones bejeweled with shiny red ribbons, and these cute little cinnamon stick ornaments I saw in an old Wilton holiday craft book. I also saw an adorable bauble idea using paper twist and faux holly. I'm going "cutesy-rustic". (That's an industry term!) I want to stay away from anything to commercial or shiny with the tree this year. I will certainly post pictures of the completed ornaments and "how-to" directions as I work.

Cookies, cookies, cookies. I'm only planning on NO MORE than eight different recipes this year. I've come across some new ones I'd like to try, but there are a few staples, like Mom's Lady Locks that are an absolute must. I'm tackling gobs this year too... I've made up my mind!

SHOPPING! I've started! Can you believe it! I really am getting a head start! I've got some stuff for TJ already purchased and secretly tucked away. I intend to be completely done with gift shopping by December 13th. No last-minute rush this year!

Deck the halls! Being that relatively all of my Christmas decorations are still packed away in boxes in NM, I have to pick up a little something new every year. I'm doing that now- scouring the isles at thrift stores and carting home pre-holiday sale items now. Yes, it's hard to believe these stores are already selling wrapping paper and whatnot, but I'm getting stocked up, to avoid needing to do so on December 24th, when all that's left is one slightly torn roll of really ugly paper.
The other holidays. I really enjoy reading about the other holidays that fall in with the Christmas season, so for fun and educational purposes, I'd like to do some research and make a traditional Kwanzaa dinner, as traditional as I can, anyway! I've got a great children's book on hand to help. Also, I've got to set some time aside during Hanukkah to light the Menorah, and share it's importance and relevance with TJ.

Traditions. Along with celebrating the other winter holidays, I really want to incorporate some cultural traditions into our holiday this year, like perhaps leaving out wooden shoes Christmas Eve as was a Dutch custom. I plan on setting one Saturday evening aside to have a traditional Dickens-inspired Christmas dinner... goose, plum pudding and all!

Whew, I realize this is all quite an ambitious list, but that's why I've got to get the ball rolling now! I'm so excited and eager to begin!

By having all of the big stuff out of the way, I hope I can focus more on the little moments, like Santa letter-writing with TJ, or having quiet moments for reflection on the true meaning of the holiday.

Updates on my progress will begin soon, I may even have an additional "Christmas Planning" post to share each week. Gotta go... see you Thursday, with a more September-appropriate recipe!

No comments:

Post a Comment