...my blog for celebrating and sharing the sweet things in life...



Tuesday, September 22, 2009

A-Thrifting We Did Go

Saturday was one of those rare days I got to spend all day thrifting and treasure seeking. The best part, while I adore my son, was that I got to do it with people who know how to act in the stores. (Sometimes, anyway!)

My Mom and her mother-in-law, Grandma Lois, came out for the day and we literally shopped from morning until night! It was a good day, I came home with some nifty Christmas ornaments and a tree-shaped cake pan. I also found a great little gingerbread man lamp for a whopping $5 at the UFO in Greensburg- these are their $1 shelves... fun treasures are hidden there!



Unfortunately I didn't have any "OH MY GOSH!!!" moments, but I was thrilled to find a cup and bowl to match a set I have. Todd gave me the set for Christmas a long time ago, so these particular dishes have a sentimental attachement, and I use them practically every day. I broke a cup doing dishes shortly after I got the set, and TJ once ran through the house with the bowl on his head pretending it was a crown. You can guess just how that ended!
Mom scored a great votive candle holder at the Christian Layman Store in Greensburg, then found the approprate votives at the Junk for Joy in Jeannette, enough for her holder plus more, "just in case".
My purchases ended up being primarily Christamas-related, with the exception of the adorable witches' hat tea-light candle holders, and as always I found some books for TJ. But it was a great day, in the company of silly ladies.
We did happen upon a whimsical little store in Mt. Pleasant called The General Store. It literally was- a store with penny candy and old fashioned ointments and salves. They also offered a wonderful selection of pricey, but quality kitchen items, which went unpurchased by us as we were thrifting! (The penny candy was an exception.) The hightlight of our whole day, while being a little shopping wary and stuffed from our dinner at Applebee's, was finding the novelty item counter, which offered things such as Fanny Floss and Cat Bum Gum. (Who sits around and thinks of these things?) I did get my dear husband some chocolate covered sunflower seeds, and TJ a pack of candy cigarettes. I know it's awful, he pretends he actually is smoking, but didn't we all when we had them at five years old??

All in all, it was a wonderful day... one we totally intend on reliving again soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment