...my blog for celebrating and sharing the sweet things in life...



Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Recipe of the Week; CURRIED PUMPKIN BISQUE

Perhaps the previous post leads you to believe that I'm a Thanksgiving Scrooge. It's not true- I adore Thanksgiving!
So much, in fact, that I'll be eating it on Thursday, Friday, and again on Sunday. Thankfully I'm only responsible to cook one dinner, the rest are up to relatives!

I like to try things that are pretty much Thanksgiving dinner staples in non-traditional ways, and pumpkin just seems to be served one way- in pie. Well, this year it'll be the first course and the last course!

My slow-cookers get a lot of use over Thanksgiving, usually with Todd's collards and my "Slap Your Momma Good Macaroni and Cheese". I'll post that recipe soon, and tell you all how it got it's name.

Anyway, I've always wanted to serve a pumpkin soup, and I think I found a recipe that looks both tasty and not very labor intensive. No, I haven't actually made this yet... but here's a preview of one of my experiments for Thanksgiving 2009. I got this recipe from one of Mom's old slow-cooker books. As it says:

"Heavy cream, milk and mushrooms are stirred in at the end of the cooking time for body and texture. Makes 8 to 10 servings.


INGREDIENTS

1- 29 oz. can solid-pack pumpkin
4 cups chicken broth
2 medium onions, chopped
2 garlic cloves, pressed
1 1/2 tablespoons curry powder
1/2 teaspoon seasoned salt
1 cup heavy cream
1/2 cup milk
1/2 teaspoon sugar
2- 4 1/2 oz. cans mushroom stems and pieces, drained
sour cream, chopped scallions, and/or crispy bacon for garnish

In a 3 1/2 quart slow-cooker, mix together the pumpkin, broth, onions, garlic, curry powder and seasoned salt.

Cover and cook on high heat setting 3 to 3 1/2 hours. Carefully puree the hot soup in 2 or 3 batches in a blender or food processor until as smooth as possible. Return to slow-cooker. Stir in the cream, milk, sugar, and mushrooms. Cover and cook on high 15 to 30 minutes longer. Serve garnished with sour cream, scallions and/or bacon bits.

No comments:

Post a Comment