...my blog for celebrating and sharing the sweet things in life...



Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Movies That I Love

I'm not, nor have I ever been, one to sit and watch movies for hours on end. The last time I went to the movies was this past summer when we took our son to the drive-in to watch Transformers 2. And I went primarily for the nostalgia in taking my five-year-old to an old fashioned drive-in, not necessarily because I wanted to see Shia Labeouf. Prior to that, I can't recall the last time I've been in a movie theatre.

I've always considered TV viewing somewhat of a waste of life. You sit for hours watching over-paid actors deal with their outrageous dramas or work their way through some comedic situation. I find a lot of movies have a ton of hype, only to watch them (usually a year or so after they're released on DVD, which was the case with The Titanic) and my reaction is- HUH?
But there are a handful of movies that I really can watch over and over. During the winter, I don't mind to once in awhile curl up on the couch and check out what's being shown on HBO or Showtime, but I haven't seen anything in a long time that was worth re-watching. And I'm certainly a re-watcher... with certain movies.

I can count on one hand certain movies, that for whatever reason, I find enjoyable to view, time and again, and I don't mind turning into a couch potato for a few hours. In no particular order, I'll share them here, along with what I find so engrossing...

1. The North and South Trilogy Okay, so it's not a movie, per se. I absolutely love learning about the Civil War, and I credit a great deal of my fascination around this time period to this mini-series. What was initially a book turned into an exceptional piece of viewable art, with some amazing actors (Wayne Newton!) filling some pretty complicated roles. Typically books are always better than the movie version (remember Flowers in the Attic? Ugh.), but in this case the screen play was mostly on point. I will make the third installment an exception, however. If you've read Heaven and Hell, you're reaction would be like mine... why did they bother to bring Cooper into the last installment??

Anyway, the history is fairly accurate, and I love the way the perplexing characters are intertwined through out the actual events in history. Like the raid on Harper's Ferry. John Jakes is a mad genius.

You will need a whole day, from morning to night, to watch the whole series. When it was finally available on DVD, my wonderful husband surprised me with it one Christmas morning, then shortly after watched the whole series with me in about 2-hour increments for almost two weeks. He was hooked! This mini-series has it all- passion, greed, love, honor, devotion, scandal... and that's just Virgilia! (Played exceptionally well by a skinny Kirstie Ally).

I have to say that she is most likely my favorite character, tortured by her both her convictions and her conscience, always trying to assert what she believes in so passionately...

And then there is Elkanah Bent, ("In the name of decency, sir, cover yourself") played remarkably by Philip Casnoff, who I've never seen act in anything else. Ah, Bent who has been "robbed of a military career that he is better suited for than any man on this post"... I do like how he hooks up with Ashton in the mini-series, which didn't happen in Love and War.

I could go on and on with a million reasons why this has got to be the best motion picture ever on film, from the costumes, the sets, the incredible music, the accents, (I don't even mind that they're not really accurate), but I must move on to my others on my list. If you have not watched this mini-series, please go buy or rent the DVD. You'll be sucked in, I promise... and (recited with an exaggerated southern drawl) you might just learn you some American history!


2. First Wives Club I can't put my finger on what exactly captivates me so about this movie, but I love it. I can't relate to it- I'm neither a first wife, insanely wealthy, a New Yorker, or an alcoholic. But it's FUNNY, and the scene in which the three main characters (Diane Keaton, Bette Midler and Goldie Hawn) fight with slaps and insults is pee-your-pants hilarious.

I love the whole idea of middle-aged first wives plotting revenge on their ex-husbands. Tiger Woods needs to watch this movie. Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned... it's so true.


3. Steel Magnolias It's the quintessential chick flick, I know. But what I love about this whole movie is that the characters are based on actual women the playwright knew.

Shirley MacLaine's "Ouiser" is unquestionably the best character in any movie ever made. The first time I watched this movie was in 2001, years after it had been out, and I remember my reaction being "Why haven't I watched this until now??" Like I said, I'm not one to watch movies constantly or when they are released. It encompasses every emotion a really good movie should- from laughter to tears to optimism.

My favorite part? Definitely the scene between Annelle and Sammy:
Annelle: "Sammy Wayne Desoto, what is this in my Frigidaire?"
Sammy: "Beer."
Annelle: "I don't care what you do with your refrigerator, but you will not keep liquor in mine."
[dumps the beer out in the yard]

Sammy: "Oh, Annelle, for Christ's sake!"
Annelle: "Who? Who did you say?"
Sammy: "Christ, Christ, Christ!"
Annelle: "Are you speaking of our Lord? Is that whose name you're taking in vain?"
Sammy: "That's the one."
Annelle: "Well, I'm sorry, Sammy. But I am not about to spend the next fifty years of my life with someone I'm not gonna run into in the hereafter."
Sammy: "Oh, Annelle, goddammit!"
Annelle: "I think we should pray."
Sammy: "Oh, I'd rather eat dirt!"

4. Hope Floats The first time I watched this movie, I was disappointed. Then I watched it again a year or so later, and I realized what made it such a great movie, in three words- Harry Connick Jr.

So the plot is a little predictable and the part where they lip-sync the Temptations song is really corny, but the movie does have a relate-able "you can go home again" message to me. Oh, and of course there's Harry.


In addition to these, I have a few other movies that deserve at least an honorable mention:

Divine Secrets of the Ya-Ya Sisterhood Another sticky-sweet chick flick, but with an amazing cast and believable story line. I just watched this movie for the first time about two months ago.

Glory By now you know I like civil-war era movies. This one is heart-wrenching, and mainly because it's based on a true story. Cinematic brilliance.

Gone With the Wind Of course!! Maybe I'm being cliche, but quite frankly my dear I don't give a damn.

The Patriot That's the one with Mel Gibson, not Steven Seagal. I love everything about this movie, especially Heath Ledger's character. And Heath Ledger. RIP.
Legends of the Fall The story-line in this movie is clever, believable, and inspiring. And tragic. Every thing that makes a movie good.

It's been a long time since I've seen any other movies that make me want to rush out and buy the DVD. But these few- well, they make a few hours on the couch during the chilly winter months enjoyable.

No comments:

Post a Comment