...my blog for celebrating and sharing the sweet things in life...



Thursday, July 8, 2010

Recipe of the Week; SUMMER PASTA SALAD

Man, is it hot this week! Record breaking temperatures! Just typing this I feel overexerted! (Not really, I'm sitting in the comfort of my air-conditioned office.)

The very LAST thing I want to do in this weather is cook. In fact, I don't really even want to eat. But I've got two boys (a little one, and a large one) who need their nourishment, so my trick is to just make something simple, and a lot of it- that way it will last through the week.

One of my favorite summer salads is my Mom's variation of an anti-pasto. I've been eating this at family reunions and summer holiday picnics since the seventies. I started to make it for my husband, and he absolutely LOVES it, although to please his carnivore-ish palate I go a little heavy on the meat.

It's a busy salad- lots of chopping is involved, but this will make a HUGE bowl full, which means if you make it on Monday it should last until Friday. And it really does get better the longer it sits. You could certainly halve the recipe to make a smaller amount, but when I make it- believe me, I'm lucky if it lasts five days. It's so full of stuff, it can be a meal in itself. It's a great alternative to potato or macaroni salad along side something you've grilled up.

INGREDIENTS

1 pound pasta, I prefer the tri-colored spirals but small shells, corkscrew, penne or farfalle will do. Cook to al dente in boiling, salted water and drain well.

CHEESES

I use the block cheese you pick up at the dairy isle of the supermarket, and it varies as to what cheese I use depending on what's available. You can use any variety of the following. (note that Brick cheese isn't available in many areas, as it seems to be widely used in Western PA. However, Monterrey Jack is very similar in texture and taste, so it's a good alternative.)

Pick four and use about 4 oz. (half of a block) of each. As a general rule, I like to use at least to yellow and two white. Cut into half-inch cubes.

Medium or Sharp Cheddar
Provolone
Monterrey Jack
Mozzarella
Colby
Colby-Jack Blend
Brick
New York Cheddar

MEAT

Salami, preferably hard or Genoa
Ham, ordinary inexpensive cooked ham works just fine. Stay away from "sweet" versions, such as honey-glazed or Virginia.
Sliced pepperoni, or sandwich pepperoni if available
Summer sausage (optional)

There are three specific meats I use in this salad. I never stray from these. For my ham and salami, I go to the deli counter and asked for at least four slices of each. I have them cut it into thick slices, about a half-inch, that way I can just cube them up for the salad.

You can use the sliced pepperoni, just slice the rounds in half and separate them well, they tend to stick to themselves. If sandwich pepperoni is available at the deli counter, get about 4-5 thick slices of it as well. I've also used stick pepperoni that I've cut into cubes.

If I have summer sausage on hand, I'll toss some of that it in as well, but it's not necessary.

VEGETABLES

1 large tomato, or a couple smaller ones, medium dice, or- 1 pint of halved grapes tomatoes is perfect
1 large bell pepper, any color, small dice
1 small jar green olives, halved
1 large onion, small dice
1 head of broccoli, optional

Mom always uses broccoli. I can do without it and usually do not put it in my salad.

DRESSING

1 cup vegetable oil
1/2 cup cider vinegar
salt and pepper, to taste
1 tablespoon dried Italian herb blend

To assemble the salad, lightly toss the pasta, meats, cheeses and vegetables in a large bowl. (I actually have to use two bowls, it's just easier for mixing.) In a separate smaller bowl or large measuring cup, mix all the ingredients for the dressing until well combined. You may need to add more or less vinegar to suit your tastes. These measurements are a guideline only, really. It just depends on your preferences. You may even need to make more dressing, again it depends on your tastes and the type of noodle you use. The best way to gage this is simply by tasting as you go.

It's best to let this sit for a few hours before you eat it, in order for the dressing to absorb into all the ingredients. Again, as it sits it will get more flavorful. Keep refrigerated.

No comments:

Post a Comment