...my blog for celebrating and sharing the sweet things in life...



Monday, January 10, 2011

Recipe of the Week; FRENCH ONION SOUP

Freezing temperatures mean one thing is certain- a big pot of soup is going to be made in my kitchen today!

Lately I've had in insatiable craving for my homemade French onion soup. I make a mean soup, but it pales in comparison with that of Mimi's Cafe in the Phoenix metro area. Although right now a few days in sunny Arizona feels like a welcome reprieve, and I have to admit just visiting Mimi's again would be enough. I don't need the sunshine, just the SOUP.

Well, unfortunately jetting off to the wild west isn't optional right now, so my own French onion soup will have to do. Here's my favorite recipe... with an unusual twist. Let me explain the twist first. French onion soup is always served topped with toasted bread (usually a baguette slice) and cheese. I've seen everything from Provolone to Gruyere.

However for my own soup-devouring pleasure, I instead will be enjoying croutons made using Tastefully Simple's Bountiful Beer bread. I have a good half a loaf left from this weekend, and I need a reason to use it. I also like to experiment. Keep in mind my crouton method can be used with kind of bread, really. And you could always just use a slice of baguette or Italian bread to top your soup if you wish, instead of the croutons.

To make the croutons, slice the bread into 1 inch-cubes. Day old or dried bread works good for this. Melt a small amount of butter in a skillet. Sprinkle the bread with garlic salt, dried Italian herbs and a little paprika. Toss bread in the skillet, frying until toasted. I tend to like mine just a little toasted on the outside and still a soft in the middle. Drain on paper towels.


For the Soup:

1/2 cup unsalted butter
4 to 5 onions (approximately eight cups) yellow onions, sliced (I prefer the large, sweet Spanish onions.) A mandolin will be your best friend in prepping the onions!
2 garlic cloves, minced
2 bay leaves
kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
3/4 cup
3 tablespoons flour
2 quarts beef broth
croutons or bread slices (toasted)
Gruyere, Provolone, Mozzarella or Swiss cheese, grated or sliced

Melt the butter in a large stock pot over medium low heat. Add onions, garlic, bay leaves and salt and pepper. Cook until the onions are very soft and caramelized, about 20-25 minutes. Stir occasionally while the onions are cooking. (Now is a good time to make the croutons!) Add the wine, bring to a boil, reduce the head and simmer until the wine has evaporated and onions are dry, about 5 minutes or so. Discard the bay leaves.
Sprinkle the onions with flour and stir. Turn the heat down if necessary to prevent the flour from burning. Cook for about 10 minutes to cook out the raw flour taste. Add the beef broth, bringing the soup back to a simmer and cook another 10 minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper.

Just before serving, preheat broiler. Arrange oven proof bowls on a cookie sheet, and ladle soup into the bowls. Sprinkle croutons or bread slices on top. Top with a gracious amount of cheese and place bowls in the oven. Broil until bubbly and golden brown, about 3 to 5 minutes. Ooooh la la!!

1 comment:

  1. oooohhhh.. this looks good !!! might have to try this.... nancy

    ReplyDelete