...my blog for celebrating and sharing the sweet things in life...



Thursday, February 3, 2011

Celebrating Valentine's With Kate Greenaway


For years I have loved browsing through card boxes at antique stores. Occasionally I happen across some beloved Valentine's Day cards with illustrations by Kate Greenaway. Ms. Greenaway was a children's book illustrator during Victorians times. I have her Apple Pie Alphabet Book, and I adore it.
As it usually occurs during the first two weeks of February, I will find myself drifting off- staring at the images of old Victorian Valentine's Day cards. I long for simpler times, wishing for a young Lord to come a-courtin' with a simple Valentine's card and a hand-picked daisy.

Then I bolt back to reality, stare at the two feet of snow on the ground (no daisies there!) and grouchily remember that my husband is no more a Lord than I a young maiden. Bah. If my hubby really wants to impress me this year, he'll forgo the Hallmark card and predictable Whitmans Sampler. He'll replace those dozen red roses from the supermarket with a bouquet of pansies, daisies, forget-me-nots or even jasmine. Ask any girl- a guy who goes out of his way to spend hours online looking for vintage Valentine's Day cards is a keeper. (Hint hint... hell-oooo are you reading this?) Because I'm asked every year "What do you want for Valentine's Day"? Not exactly the most romantic moment, I'll say.
I'm a sucker for romance, what girl isn't? The last several years my Valentine's Day consisted of making treats and cards with my special little Valentine, but darn it I'm in the mood for some grown-up celebrating for once. So this year, when the formidable "What do you want" question is posed, I shall say- "I want an afternoon with you spent antiquing. Let's browse through card boxes and hunt for old Valentine's Day cards. Then let's visit a florist and let me design my own floral bouquet. I don't want any chocolate. I want dinner, but not in some crowded restaurant. You can cook." How do you think that will go? I'll let you know! In the meantime, enjoy some of Kate Greenaway's beautiful Valentine's Day card images!

No comments:

Post a Comment