...my blog for celebrating and sharing the sweet things in life...



Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Recipe of the Week; REFRESHING MINT JULEPS

...You go to my head

And you linger like a haunting refrain

And I find you spinning 'round in my brain

Like the bubbles in a glass of champagne

You go to my head

Like a sip of sparkling burgundy brew

And I find the very mention of you

Like the kicker in a Julep or two...


My intention was to post this recipe yesterday. But if you've muddled through my gripes, you're all too aware that yesterday was not a good day for languorously sipping Juleps on the front porch.

I started to think about Mint Juleps over the weekend. During the drive to the country for my visit with Mom (and the intention of raiding her garden for MINT), Billie Holiday's song blared through the stereo, and a kicker in a Julep or two sounded like a good idea.

I've never made a Julep, nor have I had the pleasure of enjoying one. The thought of Juleps puts me in the mindset of the antebellum South, hoop-skirt and all. Or at Church Hill Downs, obnoxious hat in lieu of a hoop-skirt.

At any rate, I think it's fair to say this drink is likely Southern in origin. Being the Yankee that I am, I know Julep's aren't so much a common cocktail around here as, let's say- uh, beer.

So, dust of those antique silver goblets. I'm including the original Kentucky Derby recipe using Early Times (serves 1) and a method using Jim Beam (serves 8), which I think I'm more partial to. Enjoy... just please do so responsibly!


Early Times Mint Julep, official beverage of the Kentucky Derby

2 fluid oz. Early Times Kentucky whiskey
1 tablespoon simple syrup
mint sprigs
crushed ice

Simple Syrup:




1 cup water, 1 cup of granulated sugar and 1 bunch fresh mint sprigsCrush a few mint leaves in the bottom on an 8-oz. (Collins) glass.* Fill with crushed ice. Add one tablespoon of simple syrup and one tablespoon of water. Add 2 oz. of Early Times. Stir gently until glass frosts. Garnish with a fresh mint sprig.


To make simple syrup: Combine sugar and water. Boil for 5 minutes without stirring. Pour mix over a handful of mint leaves, and gently crush the mint with a spoon. Refrigerate overnight in a closed jar. Remove mint leaves, but continue to refrigerate. Stays fresh for several weeks.


*Juleps are known to be served in frosted silver goblets as well. Freeze ahead of time, and handle edges with a towel while preparing to preserve the frosty appearance.

Jim Beam Kentucky Bourbon Mint Juleps


2 cups water, 2 cups white sugar
1/2 cup roughly chopped fresh mint
32 fluid oz. bourbon
8 sprigs fresh mint leaves for garnish

Combine water, sugar and chopped mint leaves in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil over high heat until the sugar is completely dissolved. Allow syrup to cool, approximately 1 hour. Pour syrup through a strainer to remove mint leaves.

Fill eight glasses or frozen goblets with crushed ice and pour 4 oz. of bourbon and 1/4 cup mint syrup in each. Proportions can be adjusted depending on the level of sweetness you prefer. Top each cup with a mint sprig and a straw. Trim straws so that they barely protrude from the top of the cups. Serve Juleps on a silver platter.

No comments:

Post a Comment