...my blog for celebrating and sharing the sweet things in life...



Tuesday, June 29, 2010

High Desert Home Sickness

I've got a secret to share. I'm a little homesick, for Gallup New Mexico. I'm sitting here at work, and my phone rings. It was my sister-in-law back in Gallup. We chatted for awhile, she updated me on all of the exciting things going on out there. It was a short list.

Then I just happened upon Miss Rhonda's blog, and my twitch of homesickness turned into a full-blown twang. Right now, at this very moment, I wish I was in Gallup. Scoff if you must.

I've always been a wanderer. After leaving PA at the age of 19 to explore the west, I didn't really expect to ever live here again. Don't get me wrong, I love PA. Especially now, when it's warm. There's a lot to see and do. Idlewild. Kennywood. Delgrosso Park. Hershey's. Primanti Brothers. Sheetz. Erie. Gettysburg. Steelers. Penguins. Pirates. (even when they're not winning.) If you live here, you get it. My husband, a native New Mexican, has and it didn't take long. "Jag-off" is part of his daily vocabulary. If you don't know what that means, look it up online. It's pretty funny. Folks in Western PA have their own accent and language, a fact unbeknown to many outside of this area.

On the other hand, if you live in Gallup, you get it, too. Jerry's. Earl's. Cattle guards. Turquoise. Culture. Red Rocks. Hot air balloons. Window Rock. Pottery. McGaffey. Prairie Dogs. The train. Pointing with your lips. Blake's. Green chilie. Route 66. Arabs. All-sups. Gloneys. (Kidding, ya'll.)

I think part of what I miss about good 'ol Gallup is the pace of living. Funny how when we lived there, it drove me nuts. Time does almost seem to stand still, and in this day and age that's pretty impressive if you ask me. Not in a sense that Gallup is backward or non-progressive. It's more of a mental thing. People just move at their own pace, which is often pretty slow. Being an east coast transplant, it was something I had to learn. When you live somewhere on a day-to-day basis, perhaps you overlook little things.

Gallup and the surrounding area has its own uniqueness- a sort of rough, barren, untouched beauty. It's windy, but dry and pleasant most of the year. The sun always seems to shine. I remember I loved the drive to Window Rock. PA is overcast and hazy most of the time. And humid.

Years ago, I wondered if my east coast roots would ever call me home. Now I wonder in my western dreams will ever lead me back. Right now it seems doubtful, as we are quite content with things here. I can't imagine raising my son anywhere else, but I also don't want to lose touch with the place that was his first home.

Shortly after I moved to Gallup someone told me never to drink the water there because once you do you will always return if you leave. I drank the water, so let's see what happens.

No comments:

Post a Comment