...my blog for celebrating and sharing the sweet things in life...



Friday, June 18, 2010

Recipe of the Week; A SIMPLE CAKE FOR A SIMPLE DAD

I've asked my husband repeatedly this past week if he wanted anything in particular baked for Father's Day.

ME: "How about a nice berry tart?"
HIM: "Naw."
ME: "Crepes? With the apricot and mascarpone filling? You loved those!"
HIM: "Naw."
ME: "Something gooey and chocolaty with peanut butter?"
HIM: "Naw."
ME: "I know! Key Lime Pie! It's great this time of year!"
HIM: "Hmmm.... naw."
ME: (getting frustrated) "Well then, what???"
HIM: "Surprise me."
ME: "Errrrrrrr...."

So, as always I considered the season and what is appropriate this time of year. Berries and fruit desserts are always my first choice when it comes to baking anything in the summer months.

I started thumbing through some of my favorite cook books, when a slip of paper with a handwritten recipe from my Dad's wife slipped out. A few years ago, I was visiting and she had just pulled a dump cake out of the oven. I asked "What did you call this cake?" To which she replied, "Oh, just a simple dump cake." Hers was a yellow cake with cherry pie filling.

Might not sound so appealing, but she was right, it's SIMPLE. And yummy. And versatile. A simple cake for Dad, that my son can make for him all by himself!

Like I said, the warmer weather makes my mouth water for fruits and berries, and after careful deliberation with TJ, we decided that a Peach Dump Cake is in order for Father's Day. I certainly hope he is surprised.

INGREDIENTS

1 large can peaches, do not drain
1 box cake mix, lemon, yellow or pecan
2 sticks butter, melted
1 cup coconut
1 cup chopped nuts, optional

Spray 9" x 13" glass cake pan with non-stick spray.

Layer the peaches with their juice, cake mix, coconut, nuts and melted butter in a 9" x 13" pan. It's a dump cake, so remember not to stir. Just throw it all in, spreading the ingredients out as you go.

Bake at 350 degrees for 60 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment