...my blog for celebrating and sharing the sweet things in life...



Monday, August 2, 2010

Julie & Julia; A Movie Review

My weekends are pretty scheduled. Sundays, without fail, we're up and out the door by 8:30 for the 9:00 church service. If something changes, it interrupts my whole day and I'm thrown blindly out-of-whack.

I had such an occurrence yesterday. TJ woke up sick, so we ended up not attending church. I looked around the house Sunday morning with a confused "what in the world can I do" expression on my face. My house had been totally cleaned, top-to-bottom on Saturday. Sunday dinner was a basic crock-pot chicken cattiatore, so I didn't have to worry about fixing a big dinner. With TJ being under the weather, I didn't want to take him swimming... oh what to DO?

The dreaded TV! But only if there was something on worth watching. And to my great fortune, there was. I've been wanting to see Julie and Julia since it came out, and I was pleasantly surprised to find it was on Starz this weekend.

I'm so glad I had a couple uninterrupted hours to enjoy this movie. I can't tell you how entertaining I discovered it to be. I found several parallels in Julie's life and my own. Mon Dieu, it was uncanny.

For instance, I too am an overworked and under appreciated government employee. I'm an aspiring author, who never finishes things. I also blog, in case you didn't notice. I LOVE to be in the kitchen, it really is my sanctuary in a way. And I, like Julie, adore Julia Child.

I appreciated learning about Julia's path to success, and hearing her story along the way just made the movie so much more interesting to watch. And the cast- the rule of Julia Child was certainly destined to belong to Meryl Streep. So wonderfully performed by all, I believe.

Okay- so if I were a professional movie reviewer, I would certainly give this movie two-thumbs up. Or five stars, or whatever. I feel good that I spent two hours motionless on my living room couch, but they were a very enjoyable two hours!

Thank you for reading, but I must be off- I feel the need to go and look for a strand of pearls I can adorn whilst wearing my apron in the kitchen. Au revoir!

No comments:

Post a Comment