...my blog for celebrating and sharing the sweet things in life...



Thursday, November 18, 2010

Recipe of the Week; CHRISTMAS COOKIES

Let the fun begin! I realize we haven't even discussed Thanksgiving, but as I was careening my cart through the supermarket this morning, the baking isle stood at full cookie-baking attention with piles sugar, spice and everything nice for Christmas cookies. I pushed right past the big frozen birds and loaded up on sprinkles and assorted chocolate chips, mentally making a list of what tried and true favorites will be baked up this year, as well as what new recipes I've come across that look like fun to try.

Two recipes, courtesy of Land O' Lakes butter, are on my new recipes list this year. I always seem to opt for fussy, pretty cookies, then regret doing so when I'm elbow-deep in flour when it's too late to change my mind.

The following two recipes really are pretty, but also seem a little less labor-intensive. I'm anxious to get started... in fact I'm getting so excited to start my baking I've actually scheduled two vacations days from work so I can do just that. Obsessive, perhaps. But rewarding without a doubt!

The first recipe is for Biscotti, with a holiday twist. In all of my years baking, I've never made my own Biscotti, which is so wild because I love to dunk it in coffee. Land O' Lakes tells me that "The lively aroma of sweet peppermint will drift from your oven as you bake these small and tender Biscotti cookies." I surely hope so.

CANDY CANE BISCOTTI

1/2 cup butter, softened
12/ cup sugar
3 eggs
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
2/3 cups finely crushed peppermint candy canes

For the coating:
1 14-oz. package (almond bark) vanilla candy coating
2 drops red food color
1/4 teaspoon peppermint extract, if desired
decorator candies, sugars or crushed peppermint candy canes, if desired

Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees. Combine butter and sugar in large bow. Beat at medium speed, scraping bowl often, until creamy. Add eggs, continue beating until well mixed. Reduce speed to low. Add flour and baking powder; continue beating until well mixed. Stir in crushed candy.

Divide dough into fourths on lightly floured surface with lightly floured hands. Shape each into 9 x 1 1/2-inch logs. Place logs 3-inches apart onto lightly greased large cookie sheet.

Bake for 18 to 20 minutes or until tops are cracked and ends just start to turn light brown. Remove from oven; reduce oven temperature to 325 degrees. Cool logs 10 minutes on cookie sheet.

Carefully remove logs to cutting surface. Cut into 1/2-inch slices with sharp serrated knife. (Discard ends). Arrange pieces on same cookie sheet, cut-side down. Continue baking for 12 to 14 minutes, turning once, or until cookies are lightly browned and crisp on both sides. Remove to wire cooling rack and cool completely.

Melt candy coating in double boiler or microwave according to package directions. Remove from heat, stir in food color and peppermint extract, if desired.

Dip each Biscotti half way into warm coating; shake off excess. Place onto waxed paper. Immediately sprinkle with candies, sugars or crushed candy canes, if desired. Let set at room temperature until coating has hardened. (About one hour).

* * * * * *

I thought this next recipe would be a nice addition to the cookie tins this year. It's a decorative cookie, but without rolling out all that dough and fiddling with cookie cutters. Not that I mind doing that- my son and I religiously "paint" cut out sugar cookies every year, as was the tradition when I was growing up. You know, when I really think about it, for me Christmas cookies aren't necessarily the little treats themselves- it's the memory of the time spent together in the kitchen and the delicious smells that linger in the house during this time of year. A cookie is just a cookie, but a memory is something that touches all of senses...

CINNAMON CABINS

3/4 cup butter, softened
3/4 cup powdered sugar
1 egg
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon

Frosting:
1 cups powdered sugar
1 tablespoon butter, softened
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 to 3 tablespoons of milk
white nonpareils
red and/or green food coloring, if desired

Combine 3/4 cup butter, 3/4 cup powdered sugar, egg and 1 tablespoon vanilla extract in large bowl. Beat at medium speed, scraping bowl often, until creamy. Reduce speed to low; add flour and cinnamon. Beat until well mixed. Divide dough in half. Cover with plastic wrap. Refrigerate until firm (2 hours or overnight).

Heat oven to 375 degrees. Divide each half of dough into 15 portions. Work with 5 portions at a time, keeping remaining dough refrigerated. Roll out each portion on unfloured surface into 7 1/2-inch long rope. Cut each rope into 5 (1 1/2-inch) logs.

To assemble cabins, place 3 logs horizontally onto ungreased cookie sheet to form cabin; press logs together slightly. Place remaining 2 logs in an inverted "V" shape above cabin to form roof, press together slightly. Repeat with remaining ropes. Bake for 8 to 10 minutes or until edges are lightly browned.

Combine all frosting ingredients in small bowl; add enough milk for desired consistency. Frost or pipe cabin roofs, sprinkle with nonpareils. Tint remaining frosting; decorate as desired.

No comments:

Post a Comment