...my blog for celebrating and sharing the sweet things in life...



Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Happy Hanaversrie

Our 12th wedding anniversary was this past Saturday, and my son made us some cute cards to cherish forever. And yes, this is just how he spelled "Hanaversrie".

My sweetie surprised me with a dozen pink roses and a beautiful silver pendant and bracelet that was tucked under my pillow for me to find that evening. He makes me feel like such a crud ball, as I only gave him a sappy Hallmark greeting card over dinner. I guess that's why we've successfully survived 12 years of marriage... he's so giving and I'm so accepting. :)

In past years I've made top-ten lists of various things, such as "Top-Ten Reasons I'm Glad I Married You", and "Top-Ten Things I Like About You". This year it was "Top-Ten Things You've Said That Nearly Made Me Pee My Pants." Yes, laughter is the key to a successful marriage- and ours is inundated with it. Some of the things only Todd and I understand. The rest- well, aren't funny to anyone else but us:

10. "Even your Father-in-law, sleeping on a cot".

This is actually an excerpt from a poem Todd wrote on our anniversary years ago. I told him to write me something romantic, and some how this line ended up in it. It started out as "Through the years, we've been through a lot...." then was followed by this line which had to do with something crazy that was happening in our lives then.

9. "That's a lot of mother-$*#&@*! bees!"

We had an invasion of Africanized honey bees build a colony in the eaves of our house when we lived in Phoenix. I think this sentence sums it up.

8. "Daniel Boone can kiss my @$$."

Todd said this with a lot of disgust when we were driving on the Daniel Boone parkway in Kentucky several years ago. It was his first real experience with toll roads.

7. "If it's you-well stop it! If it's not, then never mind!"

I can't explain this one. You just had to be there. Let's just say to this day it was one of the funniest moments in our marriage.

6. "Don't make fun of my hairy-tits".

He actually said heritage, but they way it came out was not what I interpreted.

5. "Stinky and Stinkier are coming to the race with us this year."

He was referring to some wonderful, but hygiene challenged friends of ours that came with us a Nascar race at PIR once. Let's just say 90 degree temps and friends who think deodorant is a tool used for mind-control by the Devil are NOT a good mix.

4. "You know you sit in your office jammin' to Snoop all day".

Todd said this after we starting dating, after hearing how I detest rap music.

3. "You're just so... some how".

At a complete loss for words when trying to tell me one evening what he loved best about me.

2. "That's a potato for your @$$!!"

Todd said this- and not quietly- during dinner at Lone Star Steakhouse after being served the biggest baked potato either of us have ever seen. It was the looks of fellow patrons that made it even funnier.

1. "You had me at Yah-teh".

If you've ever been any where near Gallup, NM you might understand this. Todd said this to me, shortly after proposing in 1997. It was obviously at a time when Jerry McGuire was a popular movie, but the reference to it and it's absurdity during a special moment in my life seriously almost made me pee my pants. I should have known then I was marrying a comedian.

No comments:

Post a Comment