...my blog for celebrating and sharing the sweet things in life...



Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Experiment Recipe #2; CARAMEL PUDDING

PUDDING!! Every time I hear the word, I think of the movie Hot Shots!, when the Admiral is "drinking" pudding from a mug.

Funny as that was, pudding is no laughing matter to a serious cook. Good thing I don't take anything too seriously, even my pudding. But making it at home from scratch is crazy easy and so much better than the stuff from the J-E-L-L-O box. No offense to Mr. Cosby.

So it was with great enthusiasm that, as I was thumbing through my Classic Pennsylvania Dutch Cooking book that I found this recipe for Caramel pudding (page 221).

It was beyond simple, so there aren't any horror stories to go along with this post. Just remember one thing when you are eating pudding- it's best when served in the appropriate bowl, and for Pete's sake if you must use a mug, grab a spoon!!

INGREDIENTS

2 tablespoons (1/4 stick) butter
1 cup lightly packed brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
3 cups milk (I used 2%, but I bet whole milk would have been better!)
1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
2 1/2 tablespoons cornstarch
2 eggs, lightly beaten
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Melt butter in heavy skillet or large saucepan. Add brown sugar and salt, stirring constantly over medium-high heat until it caramelizes, about 5 minutes- be careful not to burn it.

Remove from stove and slowly mix in 2 cups of milk. Return to stove and heat to near boiling over medium heat, stirring constantly. Combine flour and cornstarch and stir in; then slowly add remaining cup of milk. Reduce heat to low and cook until thickened and smooth.

Remove a few tablespoons of pudding, and stir them into beaten eggs; then return mixture to pudding. Cook another 2 minutes, being careful not to let it boil. Remove from heat and stir in vanilla. To prevent skin from forming on top, lay wax paper over it. Serve warm or cold. (And with a generous dollop of fresh whipped cream, as did I.)

No comments:

Post a Comment