...my blog for celebrating and sharing the sweet things in life...



Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Recipe of the Week; CAJUN-STYLE CATFISH

I like to celebrate Fat Tuesday, so I can inevitably wake up the next morning feeling like it's even Fatter Wednesday. Not this year, however, I'm on a lean, low-carb kick. No sugar either, so we'll be without the King Cake or beignets.

From what I understand, catfish is controversial when it comes to dieting (how I hate that word). It's controversial in that it is apparently a fattier fish, but it's still a good source of protein and B12. I was once told that because it's a scavenger-fish (think goat- it eats anything) it can contain excessive toxins. I just hope the fish I'm eating tonight isn't from the BP oil-saturated waters of the Gulf Coast, but chances are it's farm raised. I can do without the petroleum, thank you very much.

At any rate, I'm not frying the fish, so I'm not swaying too far from my weekly regimen. My other choice was some fried catfish muffaletta's, which really looked great but I certainly can do with out the heavy French bread and the fried fish. I am making some red beans and rice to go with the fish, and I promise I'll limit my rice intake and eat lots of beans. So it won't be a Fatter Wednesday for me this year, but a Fartier one instead. I like to toot my own horn. Happy Mardi Gras, ya'll!

INGREDIENTS:
1/2 cup chopped onion
1/2 cup chopped celery
1/2 cup chopped bell pepper (any color)
1 large garlic clove, pressed through garlic press
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 (14.5 oz) can diced tomatoes with green chilies, undrained
1/2 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
1 can (2 1/4 oz) sliced ripe olives, drained
1/2 teaspoon creole seasoning
4 catfish fillets (approximately 6 oz each)
1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.

In skillet, saute onion, celery, pepper, and garlic in olive oil until tender. Add tomatoes, mushrooms, olives, and seasoning. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer uncovered for 10 minutes or until heated through.

Place the catfish in an 13 x 9 baking dish, sprayed with cooking spray. Top with vegetable mixture; sprinkle with cheese. Bake, uncovered for 15-20 minutes or until the fish flake easily with a fork.

No comments:

Post a Comment