...my blog for celebrating and sharing the sweet things in life...



Friday, November 12, 2010

I Hate Cub Scouts

Towards the beginning of this school year, my six year old son decided he wanted to join Cub Scouts. Well, it sounded like a good idea. And being me, I told him that whatever he committed to he had to stick with for the whole year. Scouts is an ongoing thing throughout the school year. And it's a very involved activity- meetings at least three times a month, in addition to special outdoor activities, fundraisers, food drives, parades, flag ceremonies... it takes up much of my very scarce free time.

So what do I do? I volunteer to be a Den leader. And then I agree to be the advancement chairperson, which is overseeing the awards and advancements for not just the Tiger den of 11 kids- but the whole Pack of nearly 60 boys. Why did I do this? I keep asking myself this. I can't just quit- the boys are what is keeping me going. They're so darn cute those little shirts and kerchief's.

And to make matters even worse, my son told me last week that he doesn't want to be in Scouts anymore, that he doesn't even like it. Urrrghh.... well, I can't allow him to quit, because then I will be going back on my rule- "You don't quit something you start". Which means I can't quit something I start. My husband keeps telling me to quit. To just say that it's become too overwhelming and I can't commit to it. Then what? Leave the boys hanging? I'm not that cruel. Besides, I have to see all of these parents all of the time, and I don't want them thinking of me as a flake, or worse yet, having one of the boys say something to TJ about his idiot Mother.

So I've resolved to stick with Scouts throughout this year. Once April is here, I'm done. Secretly I Hate Cub Scouts. Good thing none of those parents read my blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment