...my blog for celebrating and sharing the sweet things in life...



Thursday, December 9, 2010

Recipe of the Week; POTATO LATKES 101

My Mom made potato pancakes all the time when we were growing up. Slathered with applesauce and accompanied by a big glass of ice cold milk, a kid couldn't be more satisfied with their week day dinner. Not once did I consider how my frugal young Mother successfully fed us three children on a coal miners pay.

It was a generational trick- my Grandmother did the same thing. She successfully fed her seven children on a single- immigrant mother's dress factory pay. I trust her Mother did so as well, back in Poland where I suspect the basic potato latke (what we grew up calling a "pancake") recipe originated. Although I cannot guarantee this as fact, I've yet to research the history of a latke. Perhaps in another post.

My how times have changed. Try serving a plate of potato pancakes all by itself to my son for dinner and he'll look at me like I've lost my ever-loving mind. I can just hear him now. "Really, Mom? Where's the meat?" American children are so spoiled.

Latkes are simple. They're quite filling, and thanks to frozen shredded potatoes- a blessingly easy cinch to whip up. Perhaps Great-Grandmother would cringe at the frozen potatoes, but she didn't work 40 hours a week outside the home and have Cub Scouts, basketball games, and an impatient husband. Like I said, times have changed.

I wish you all, Jewish or not- A wonderful Hanukkah. Mazel tov!

2 cups peeled and shredded potatoes (or thawed, shredded potatoes in a bag)
2 tablespoons finely diced onion
3 eggs, beaten
2 tablespoon all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon salt
oil for frying

Place potatoes, freshly shredded or thawed, in cheesecloth and wring, extracting as much water as possible.
Stir the potatoes, onion, eggs, flour and salt together in a medium bowl.

Over medium-high heat, heat oil until hot enough for even frying. Place large spoonfuls of the potato mixture into the hot oil, pressing down on them to form patties approximately 1/2-inch thick. Brown on one side, turn and brown on the other.

Allow to drain on paper towels. Serve with applesauce or sour cream.

No comments:

Post a Comment